Monday, October 29, 2018

Final Project Proposal: Age pressure among woman


Final Project Proposal: Age pressure among woman:
The pressure woman face if they have not “settled down” married and with children by a certain age. Society therefore, view these women as not fully accomplished or fulfilled.
            In my final project I plan to make a video/slideshow where I discuss the following topics to tie in with my main idea. The reason being, that as a woman myself who is entering her 30’s, I continuously get the following questions; When are you getting married? When are you having kids? You know you aren’t getting any younger? And I never fail to hear the infamous Spanish phrase during family gatherings; “se te va ir el tren.”  In my final project I want to also explore the cultural beliefs that influence Latinos in our society to think that a woman has to get married and have a family in order to have fully lived her life. In the Latino culture women are “suppose” to want children and if you don’t want to have any, then something is wrong with you.
            I also want to incorporate the following in my video:
·         Snips of Disney movies showing young girls to aspire to marriage and wait for a man to rescue them. Therefore, since young the media tries to embed the idea into girls that marriage equals to happily ever after.
·         I want to add snips of the Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie TED talk and the Shonda Rhimes interview with Ophra.
·         Snips of the Vanity fair video “I never expire”
·         Statics and graphs showing how many successful women are not married. Or how millennial females are putting a career and their success as a priority rather than marriage.
·         Interview different generations from my family both females and males to get their feedback (ages range from 70’s & 40’s & millennials)
Links:
·         Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Ted Talk: We should all be feminists:
·         Ophra’s 2012 Janipur Literature Festival interview:
·         Marriage Market Takeover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvnQCglpyvE










1 comment:

  1. This is such an interesting topic, as someone who is turning 27, i certainly have no interest in marriage or children in the next 5 years at least. Are you going to speak of your own personal experience in the project or just stick to cultural perceptions and context?

    ReplyDelete