Monday, October 29, 2018

Final Project Proposal


I haven't figured out the proper structure yet but, I'm leaning towards either a PowerPoint presentation or simple website on a genre that I'm very passionate about and that's the role women have had in regards to the history of comedy. I want to research specifically how women in that industry were not taken seriously as a performer/writer or have a tougher challenge if they're a person of color or a queer female comedian. This project is open for everyone and not specifically targeted to one demographic.

So far the source material I have found are a few online articles (one in which SNL cast member Leslie Jones speaks out on how certain black male comedians ignored upcoming female comedians or never gave them opportunities), a screening of CNN’s The History of Comedy (which has an episode titled The Funnier Sex) and excerpts from a few books (one of them the last chapter on the biography of David Letterman and how Amy Schumer was discriminated early in her career). I’m open for any feedback from you or the class. As I stated in my first post for this course that comedy has been an important part of my life and I recall your earlier comments from the first day of class to play to our strengths in regards to presenting the final project.

Sources:
BallerAlert.com Leslie Jones Fires Back at Kevin Hart and Katt Williams, 2018.
CNN’s The History of Comedy, The Funnier Sex. 2017.
Zinoman, Jason. Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night. New York: HarperCollins, 2017.

1 comment:

  1. Hi TJ, this seems to me like an extremely relevant topic. Maybe you can include Katt Williams' bashing Tiffany Haddish's career and emmy win? Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

    ReplyDelete