Monday, October 29, 2018

Final project proposal


Final project proposal
I want to create a video essay examining two different films that pass the Bechdel test and try to answer the question of which one is a better example of women’s representation. The two movies I will focus on are Annihilation(2018) and Ghostbusters(2016).  The reason I want to create this video essay is to illustrate the differences in nuance each film presents, and examine why the former film was shown only to select audiences in theaters, and was given a wider online release, while the latter was granted a wider release. I feel it will be an interesting comparison because they both boast an ensemble cast of talented actresses and are extremely different in execution while both tackling sci-fi/supernatural aspects.
                I hope to examine what makes good representation as well come to a verdict about the two films that have had some controversy in the last few years. I will write an essay that will serve as the script for the video and I will publish it on youtube, using clips from both films that I have already begun to compile. I will cite examples from texts we have read throughout the semester as well as articles and other video essays seen on youtube. Hopefully, the end result will be a clear and concise video essay that will be around 8-12 minutes in length.
will cite:
Berger, John. Ways of Seeing: Based on the BBC Television Series with John Berger. British Broadcasting Corp., 2012.




https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/annihilation-paramount-netflix/551810/

2 comments:

  1. I really like your idea, and I haven't seen either of the films so it will be interesting to see your comparison of the two as a neutral audience member. You may also want to explore the history of the Bechdel test, and it's reason for creation. Give some more context as to why the reasons these films passed the Bechdel test is rare and important. On a side note, Allison Bechdel is an amazing cartoonist, and you should definitely check out her graphic novel Fun Home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a neat idea. I like the focus on the sci-fi elements, since that's not something people tend to associate with women much at all. Even though it seems like your focus is on the two movies themselves, I think there's a lot you could work with in regards to their respective genres and how they typically handle women in leading roles, which would add a lot of interesting context and would make for a way to compare and contrast them, too. It goes without saying, but I think it's especially important to go into depth about the outcry over Ghostbusters, since I still come across the occasional dude complaining about it ruining their childhoods to this day. Looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete