Sunday, October 28, 2018

Final Project Proposal

For my final project, I decided that I would like to incorporate a form of media that is dear to me, which is music. I appreciate music a lot because it is one of the main factors I use when pinpointing certain moments or phases of my life. While I myself am not musically inclined, I know a few of my friends are of varying degrees in different areas of it. One thing that I’ve noticed throughout the years when I attend concerts is that I often support bands and singers that are predominantly male. Obviously, a large part of this is because I simply enjoy the music that they produce/put out there. However, I’ve started to wonder if maybe women in the music industry are marketed differently, or if on the more technical/business aspect of things, women are harder to come by.

My idea for this final project was to make a music based zine that would be split up into different sections. In one part, I would attend a concert that is headlined by a woman singer/woman front band and write a review of the concert. In the review I would be sure to explain the differences I felt in the messages of the music, the crowds, overall experience, etc. I would also include interviews of some of my friends who are looking to pursue a career in the music industry, but all in different areas of it. One of my friends is working to become a recording artist, another is working towards a career in music PR, and my other friend is hoping to(but also has past experience) work for a record label/aka the business-y side of things.

I plan to make this project through one of the online zine creators, and I will hopefully have a few to pass out around the class. The point of my project will be to analyze the roles of women in the music industry based on personal resources so that I can then have a clear reaction to the music that I generally consume.

Resources so far:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bonniemarcus/2018/04/03/the-music-industry-remains-a-boys-club-how-do-women-break-in/

https://medium.com/thrive-global/the-lack-of-women-in-the-music-industry-6f275030aad2




2 comments:

  1. This is a super cool idea and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just gonna add onto my previous comment: how will you go about finding these artists and female-fronted bands? Will you be focusing on just one particular genre or sub-genre, or will you be open to anything? You touched on the possibility of different marketing approaches in the music industry in regards to men and women; It would be a lot of work, but I think if you have the time, you could dig deep and find some information or even analyze the marketing techniques yourself. If you look into multiple genres, you could also compare and contrast them. Surely it would tie into what we’ve discussed in this class in some way. Still looking forward to see what you end up doing with this! I think recognition of the imbalance we tend to have in preferring male artists over female artists is important. It took me a while, and my way of thinking as to why I didn’t really like any female singers (outside of some pop) involved a lot of internalized misogyny. Good luck!

      Delete