Monday, October 22, 2018

Final Project Proposal

Proposal



Well, our last readings and class really hit home for me. It made me rethink my entire final project idea. Originally I was going to find people in the skincare industry to tell me how skin care products are not really necessary and make your skin crave the products, or how skin care products are actually needed. However, I don’t know anyone in the industry that would be okay with being interviewed. Plus, I think it would make more sense to talk to someone involved in physically chemically composing these products brands sell. Would they really want to be interviewed either? Probably not because the final project will be posted somewhere, so they could be fired for the information they supply me. Thus, I was already having an internal debate about whether or not the skin care topic would be feasible. Now, I have thought of something different, but it would be a little challenging to discuss. I want to talk about advertising and body image. They go hand and hand.

Personally, I have always suffered from body image issues. I have hated my nose, my ears, my untoned body, etc. These issues stem from childhood. I took part in sports, yet my body was never toned and muscular like the other boys. I could never figure out why I was not like them. I did begin eating a lot less in elementary school, so that I could be thin and fit like everyone else on the swim team. I went on to go through eras of binging, starving, and puking. To this day I struggle everyday with my image. I am the fattest I have ever been in my life and I hate every time I put clothes on or take them off. I hate seeing my body. I find it impossible to workout and diet because working out is not fun and I suffer from depression, which makes me crave food all the time to cope with it.

In this final project, I think it might be helpful to address my own issues, but also talk to a series of people about their struggles. I would like to talk with a group of individuals of different races, genders, and sexualities in order to get a complete idea of the differences and similarities a wide variety of people face when it comes to body image. This is a huge topic that I believe everyone deals with in some way, subconsciously or consciously. I would like to film the lovely subjects talk about their trials, tribulations, and how it connects to the media/advertising. Then I plan on turning it into an informative Youtube video for the class to watch.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting issue! There is some data out there about body image in older women, but not a lot of it. There are physical changes that surprised and saddened me as I became a post menopausal woman. However, I am much less concerned about how my body looks and don't let the changes affect my self esteem. The good news is that we are seeing many more celebrity women age in public. The bad news is that people like Madonna and Cher, who range in age from late 50s to 70s are doing what they can to look 30 and thin. No age spots visible on the likes of Sarah Jessica Parker, even though I know they are there!

    ReplyDelete