Monday, October 29, 2018

Toxic Masculinity

Thomas McMillen 


Thus far the class, Women and Media, has allowed me to realize that feminist thought and study is crucial for the understanding of how our society functions. Prior to my participation in this class I thought I was going to learn about women theory and the history of women’s representation and participation in media. Although I have learned about these subjects, as this is my first women's studies class, I imagined I would learn about these issues as an outsider looking in. I am a male and have unintentionally benefitted from this sex in many ways that were not overtly told to me. I understood through my education the inequalities found within our society and I understood my privileges resulting from it. I entered this class wanting to learn about this subject in order to use my privilege to aid to the liberation of our society from preconceived notions of capability through race, gender and ethnicity. However, something I was not expecting to take away from this class was how patriarchy has molded my identity and interests without my consent or consciousness. 

After learning about how stigmas of gender roles are produced regardless of how one’s parents raised them through social settings and perceived notions, I began to relook at my decisions as a child. Most importantly, I began to think about how when I was a child I dropped out of art classes to pursue soccer practices and WWE events. Although, sports and wrestling brought me great joy as a child and I participated in them willingly, I could not shake the memory of me telling my parents I did not want to take art classes and their resulting astonishment, however, willingness to allow me to do so.  

Therefore, for my final project I want to produce a video surrounding the issue of the negative effects patriarchy has on adolescent development. I am a videographer and create my art through iMovie. I will be asking my male friends to tell me things they did as children that were perceived as “girly” without context. I want them to feel the embarrassment and comedic nature of the things they did as a child that were unmasculine and will be following it up with questions on either what their fathers or coaches advised them to do as a result or what made them stop doing those actions. I then want to take the examples they give me and visually recreate them in the video. I want to use their examples and information from the class to project the problems of these actions and create solutions we can teach moving forward. I want to show the video to my friends after to allow them a chance to forgive themselves of traits they felt were once unbecoming of a man and educate themselves on how to be better men and eventually fathers. I believe my work will be a way to teach my friends everything I received out of the class without attacking them with information that has shaped their identities and outlooks. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tommy,

    I don't know if this helps but, I'm always trying to find articles online and either incorporate them into our class discussions or blog posts. Since, your topic is on toxic masculinity I thought of two outside sources to maybe look into.

    The first is the Netflix/Buzzfeed show called "Follow This" and their episode titled Men's Rights. The first part is a little rough but, near the end of the episode they briefly talk about positive solutions by doing a segment on the New York-based non-profit ManKind Project, which focuses it’s work on modern male initiation, self-awareness, and personal growth, allowing men to have a safe space to ask for help and be emotional. You probably could send them an email and sit down to speak with one of their board members to get further detail for your project/video.

    The other source I found was from British author Caitlin Moran, who was trending on Twitter about 2 weeks ago on an article she wrote on Toxic Masculinity, loneliness and being a man in 2018. Unfortunately, I did not read the article but saw that it was getting some serious attention online. Hope that helps in your research and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea, because I see many friends who have become emotionally compromised because of dangerous 'manly' tropes as children. Though I'm wondering, how are you going to recreate their stories, will it be stop motion, or dramatization, or pictures? Also, are you going to include your own stories?

    I think something you could add would be a discussion of how the men in your life are challenging toxic masculinity today, if they are at all. You may also want to do research to see if masculinity has been studied within psychology, as I feel backing up the video with evidence could strengthen it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great topic to explore, and i think doing it through the personal experience of friends is a great lens to do it through. The idea of the patriarchy is definitely one of the topics we explored that really struck me, since the male experience of toxic masculinity/patriarchy is not something we often think about. I think drawing in historical and cultural narratives will also be important to set the stage.

    ReplyDelete