Monday, October 29, 2018

Final Project Propsal


I have a great love for film, and the experience that medium of art can provide. For that reason, I am intending on pursuing a career in the field of film. Hence, for my final project I intend on filming a documentary about a dear friend of mine, Devin, who is in the process of their transitioning journey into their opposite sex. The documentary would follow Devin in their day to day life through an omniscient narrative amalgamated with notes of  restricted narration. It will be triple identity narrated through camera, interviewer, and subject. The aim of the film would be to understand what it means to be a female in modern day feminism, while transitioning to female. I intend to have serious foundation for the direction of the narrative, and its purpose to the cause, and intertwine a comedic but expository undertone.
I met Devin through a close friend at our dorm, after getting to know Devin I learned of their struggles a woman who has transitioned experiences. My idea for the film was born when I realized through conversation with Devin, that I don’t know much about what it truly means to transgender, and what are the right formalities to be the most respectful to the community. I realized that if I didn’t much about what it means to be trans. Many other don't either.
The film will be around 5-6 minutes, and will cover introducing Devin, and then highlighting about 3 huge pinpoints they are experiencing right now. I want it to end with Devinsharing what it means to be a true ally. My intention for the film is to educate, expose, and expand the understanding and relation with the world and the LGBTQ+ community, and especially the beautiful trans community. My target demographic will be a young audience of 17-23, specifically because this would be a more liberal and more expansive audience. I intend to publish it on video platforms like vimeo and youtube.

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea. As we all know trans people might lose their rights sooner then later. It is an important time for another documentary about someone going through their transition. However, there are many who have shared their story so far, such as Caitlyn Jenner, Gigi Gorgeous, Gia Gunn, Candice Cain, etc. There are also shows like Transparent that show the trans life and it's challenges. I definitely would like to see a woman becoming a man because we typically see men become women, except for Cher's daughter who obviously became a man. It is a lot different going through the process from a woman to a man. I, personally, have always been curious to know how a cosmetically implanted penis works. Does it look and work normally? I don't know, but I feel like know one talks about some important details like that because they feel it is going too far, but I think it is definitely a very intriguing topic to maybe tap into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea. This topic is still not talked about as much as it should be and definitely not in a way where people see and hear first hand from someone their experience transitioning. The personal aspect of the film will be great for people to see real and raw emotions, I think adding a comical aspect to it will be nice at times to make the conversation easier but I would suggest having serious parts because this conversation shouldn’t be taken lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea for a project! I love that you started with something that you yourself could stand to learn more about, so I think that the narrative that you come up with to teach the viewers will be honest and really relatable. I like the idea of the "a day in the life" format, but also think it could be cool and useful for you to keep yourself in there to represent the audience as a student and make us feel like we're in it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great project idea and so brave of your friend to offer to tell her story! Will you be strictly talking about your friend's personal experience, or will you also be weaving in historical and cultural points from various sources? I'm very excited to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete