Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Oops, I Did It Again


Hi. My name is Nisharga Hossain and I'm a media-holic. I consume almost all forms of media. To name a few; Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Spotify, Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, Tinder, Bumble. And I have a Twitter. Have, not use.



 

Of all the mediums listed above, Spotify is probably one that's least negatively affected my life. It's been a happy place of music and nothing else. The only drawback related to Spotify (IMO) is the jam sessions that help me procrastinate. As a premium member (no commercials) I don't get baited into buying things, which isn't the case with Instagram:



 


I've been to a handful of bars and restaurants that I discovered on Instagram through popular influencers. And boy did they influence. Aside from influencers, Instagram also has ads. The above photo is an example. A huge chunk of my day is spent watching shows on Netflix and Hulu. Errday is marathon day for me. I don't know if it's my form of me/down time but I make sure to spend 3-4 hours watching shows each day. There's a benefit to this too. I've watched numerous shows: The Office, Parks and Recreation, The Handmaid's Tale, Mindhunter, Friends, American Vandal, etc. And so, when I'm using other platforms like, say, Tinder? Bubmle? Or even in real life experiences, it comes in handy. It gives me something to talk about. Hell, I've shared great moments with brother talking about shows and Instagram algorithms. So I've experienced both the good and the bad. Bad like; being cyber bullied, my Facebook account getting hacked five times, being slut shamed, etc.




When I was younger I used to compare myself to the "popular" kids at school, scrolling through their Facebook and wanting their luxuries. Their shoes are now filled by influencers. Thankfully, I have a better grasp on reality and self-confidence. I do still struggle with how much time I spend on social media and how I give into spending money on things I come across on these platforms. As for my relationship with media, its forever changing.















No comments:

Post a Comment