Wednesday, September 5, 2018

I Curate My Life Through Media


I am both a consumer and creator of media. The aspect of interacting with strangers without ever meeting has always fascinated me. I’ve always equated media with power. There is a massive amount of influence certain images stringed together can hold on the masses, and the beauty of media is that it has always made me feel like I had access to that type of power. I too can create these images if I choose to, and it is what set me into motion of creating content. I use the majority of social media platforms as modes of inspirations, fand idea crafting as they are almost like libraries holding powerful content. Much of what I consider myself to be as a creator, and a person is based on my interaction with media. I use my consumption of television and movies to power my imagination at times, I love being transported to other realities and losing track of time because of how in touch I am with some content. I use my social media feed to help me create visuals for my own life, and what I want to be. 

What is interesting about media, is that it almost works as a form of world-wide community. When there are shared mass media events like trending challenges, or hashtags, I’ve always felt disconnected from them. Not exactly sure why, but I usually don't bat an eye, nor feel an impulse to participate. This reaction might stem from the amount of freedom I sometimes feel through media creation, in the sense that I can be the ultimate curator on these platforms and human perception of it. So a mass media event is unattractive to me, because it usually does not fall within my desired aesthetic. But, a form of shared mass media experiences that I do like and tend to participate in is trending aesthetics. Certain colors and patterns that can be trending, I can really be into. 

I would say that media takes up a large portion of my life. I wouldn't be able to say that it consumes my life, because I am able to take extensive breaks from Media and then fall right back into it. But, I wake up and want to see what I can find on Pinterest, this platform is my main point of attention. I like to use this platform to create visuals for my life. I create moodboards for certain aspects and times in my life. I try to be very in touch with these boards and keep them as updates as I can. The boards I create also tend to reflect who I am in the current space in time, and I like to use these platforms as mirrors to describe myself. 
My vision board on Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment