Monday, September 24, 2018


K. Tenaillon
9/24
Entry 2

The Male Gaze

Unknown source from Google
The Male Gaze is a pervasive, assumed, and inherent way, behavior and attitude attributed towards how women are seen and perceived in almost all societies, as dictated by the attitudes and beliefs formed by men, or a male-centric audience. I cannot claim knowledge of attitudes towards women on a global scale, but as John Berger notes in his seminal work, Ways of Seeing (1972), “Women are depicted in a quite different way from men - not because the feminine is different from the masculine - but because the image of the woman is designed to flatter him.”(p.64)
Although we now live in an age where “equal opportunity objectification” (Schwyzer, 2013) exists and is recognized, where objectified males now experience poor body imaging, and having to live up to unrealistic ideals of the male body (i.e. virile, manly, etc.), the male gazer still generally misses the point in their understanding of what women are all about, in how women hope to be seen and understood: that one size, shape and image does not speak for all women.  
Inasmuch as I wish to not generalize this concept, it is quite evident that images of women sell, most especially if they are depicted as alluring to the male spectator and must therefore be emulated by every woman in order to be acceptable in society; society being a concept dictated by men’s vision alone.
Of the three readings, this resonated most with me the most. I am not quite from the selfie-generation, but have come to realize that even my phone camera will now auto detect lines and spots on my face to create the perfect selfie, instantly washing out what it deems as “imperfect.” My phone never once asked me if I wish to have a “glamour shot” as opposed the realistic image of myself. Even such small things tell me that this is what society has dictated as the acceptable version of myself that I can post on social media. God forbid that I be allowed to take the real version of my image on my own phone. 
People do not realize that in making us want to look perfect, we therefore are also preconditioned to buy into the concept of being perfect as the only acceptable version of ourselves that must exist. Buying into it means wanting more and never being content with our real selves. It is difficult enough to be a woman stared at and - on worse occasions, visually judged without my knowledge by both men, and the women who have also bought into the concept of harshly judging their fellow women. For as long as the male gaze dictates what sells in this world, women will constantly be on the uphill battle, working towards acceptance, and freedom from judgement even when it is silent and unspoken.


References:

Berger, John, Dibb (1972). “Ways of Seeing.” London: BBC Enterprises


Schwyzer, H. (2013, June 19). Can Men Handle Being Ogled? Retrieved from https://jezebel.com/5854281/can-men-handle-being-ogled



No comments:

Post a Comment