Wednesday, September 5, 2018

My Outlook on Media Consumption

My Outlook on Media Consumption

My name is Thomas McMillen and I was raised by a father who is an atheist and a mother who is very spiritual. I believe this is important element in the understanding of my wordly outlook. I am the result of a duality in beliefs and for that I feel vastly connected to the earth however guide my actions with a foundation of sacred purpose. My father is grounded in the belief that you are what you put onto this earth and for that I have always been interested in the output of media. Media to me documents and verbalizes the human experience. My entire childhood I was engrossed in learning history, art and media. I was fortunate enough to receive a phone and computer at an early age of life and to be alive for the front of technological advancement. Therefore, it has been a major factor in my development and outlook.
I am at an age now where I am comfortable to say I am a multimedia artist, a term I never felt I had the qualifications to proclaim until I commited my higher education to the craft. However, reflecting on my past media consumption and output, I believe the greatest advantage of social media is that it allows you a platform, regardless of your qualifications. I have been posting my work to Instagram, youtube and twitter from the moment I downloaded the apps. Small victories of “likes” by family and friends gave me a perceived audience which in return gave me purpose.

Thumbs up is the image synonymous with liking an image

Although at times, social media can overwhelm my mental state, I calm my anxieties by indulging in more media. Whether music or video, I keep my mind constantly busy. I believe this aspect of modern media is taken for granted because we can access anything in the matter of seconds. I try to not let others beliefs on the negative impact excessive media consumption alter the peace I find through it. If I am in a park and I take out my phone to document my feelings or to capture a photo, some friends say I have to live in the moment. But, I believe they are working off ideologies of elders that have been voiced to them because I truly believe social media allows you to be in an universal moment. For this reason I do not experience perceived “FOMO” (fear of missing out). Though this might be because of some egotism, I have the belief that you only have your reality, your identity and your moment. Therefore, I like to look at individuals social media as a documentation of a human experience. Although one can attest that social media gives an altered perception of someone because you choose what you want to make public, I believe there is something to say about someone through their curation. We are able to curate our lives and spread that version of our experience to a platform. I find that beautiful and it makes me an active participant in media.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, Thomas. I believe your background of having parents from polar opposite beliefs have also allowed you to explore who and what you are (and can be) through media. I share your outlook on how media can be an element that can shape a person's experience. I believe that although the victory of likes can be important (especially if you are in sales, production or marketing in any field), the most important of all, in my opinion, is your ability and fearlessness to record your life, putting your true self out there through multimedia art for example, and finding what is positive and useful in media and social media to add layers of quality and worth in your own life.

    ReplyDelete