Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Media has reinforced my right to agency


Each day that I decide to log on to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or YouTube, I am making the active decision to not be a bystander with media. I consume it in the way that people consume the news. Whether I’d like to admit it publicly or not I absorb a lot of my news from social media. I try to do my part by fact checking but depending on the friend that posts or shares it, my first instinct is to take it as fact. The amount that I choose to engage with others depends on a variety of factors including but not limited to: time of day (which relates to the amount of engagements that I am likely to receive if I post something) or how much I like the celebrity that is being cyberbullied today or it could simply just boil down to my mood. My first year at Hunter shaped the way that I interact with the media because I was taught to be suspiciously critical of the media. Since then, I consider the agendas of the media maker and weigh reliability before I respond to it. There is a lot more media content today that I can proudly say that I measure myself against. I purposely seek out that content and I have for a very long time. Shows like Being Mary Jane, Insecure, and Love Is display issues that I as a black, educated, woman faces. I purposely seek out content that I can identify with. If not on tv, then on YouTube and networks such as Black & Sexy TV. Film has a huge affect on my life because art imitates life and how I see myself in this world. 

I remember when I was a child and I saw Love & Basketball. It affected the way I decided to see the world. I was watching black actors on the screen as lead characters who graduated high school and went on to college to have professional basketball careers. More importantly, I saw a black woman with agency who decided to follow her dreams and pursue the loves of her life – love with Quincy and love for basketball. I remember being taken aback by the thought of women playing professional basketball and seeing how Monica as a young girl was so confident of her ability and power as a woman despite being told that girls couldn’t play ball. I resonated with her character because I’d been told plenty of times at school what girls couldn’t do and I too, would stand up for myself and show them that I was just as good if not better at the games or sports we played. The next scene Quincy asks Monica to be his girlfriend and to ride on the back of his bike because he’s seen his dad drive his mom places.  When he tells her to come on, she thinks and says, “I don’t have to do what you say.” She’s then rejected by him and they begin to fight. A black woman who stands up for herself despite knowing the consequences that can occur from bruising the male ego. I liked it. No, I loved it. This is how I felt and who I wanted to continue to be at 7 years old and there it was staring me right in the face. Yes, it was a love story but it was so much more than that. It was a visual representation of so many other black young women standing against the status quo.

I am the media influencer in my friend group because I introduce them to new shows and support the content that I want to see more of. I actively engage in debates and critique things on social media daily. Twitter is a fun but sometimes scary place. I belong to the family that is black twitter. I say that because it’s important to recognize that we all live in certain bubbles when we interact on social media. Some of those bubbles are bigger than others and have an impact on how we digest the media. The one thing that I love about Twitter is that sometimes it feels like the people I retweet/follow all speak the same language and have gone through very similar experiences even though more likely than not, we don’t know each other and live different lives.

Similar Twitter experiences














Have we all lived the same life?


 However, it also goes back to the bubbles that we socialize in. If I followed a bunch of conservatives on Twitter, then the content I saw on my timeline could differ dramatically. I recognize that the people I follow have an impact on the content that comes across my timeline and so I look forward to awards shows or highly anticipated biopics (right now it’s The Bobby Brown Story) because it’s like the internet becomes a family as we react together to what is going on. Of course, it is not always roses because sometimes social media becomes a toxic, vicious place with stans that unofficially represent artists and will attack and destroy your online presence in a heartbeat if your words about their favorite artist aren’t chosen carefully. I thread carefully with the media I choose to share and comment on because one wrong move has the power to destroy you. I’ve seen people get fired from their jobs and kicked out of school because they weren’t careful about what they said online. I saw something on the news about Internet safe spaces and I just think about all that can go wrong.  I used to be addicted to social media and although I still go on it often, I’ve slowly drifted away from it. I deleted my Snapchat in January and haven’t looked back and I post on Instagram probably once every 3 months. It’s hard to completely step back from social media and figuratively impossible to try and eliminate the media in general from your life because it’s everywhere. I went to Spain this summer and came back feeling so removed from American culture but at the same time I still knew about some things that were going on here because although a lot of my Internet usage was blocked, my Instagram and Twitter worked just fine. At the end of the day, even when my options were limited, media was all around me. It can be overwhelming so I think carefully about what I choose to do with it. More importantly, the influx of information reminds me daily that I have a choice in what I choose to read, see and respond to on my timelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment