Monday, December 3, 2018

Final Project: Black Female Voices

Don't Call It A Podcast!

For my final project, I created an audio presentation with my best friend about important issues that affect the black community and approached the dialog using an intersectional lens. We discussed Imposter Syndrome, Police Brutality and Media Representation - the Single Story. This project was intense and emotional at times. The point was to express ourselves and make sure that our voices as young black women are heard. As we discuss in the first episode of our short series, we'd been told in so many ways that our opinions didn't matter and so this presentation is our way in dismantling that kind of patriarchal thinking.






No Longer Silent
Don't tell me to shut up.
Even if you don't get what I'm getting at...
Don't tell me to shut up.
I know my place and my place is here.
My voice is meant to be heard.
No longer mute.. acute..
Don't you see what's going on?
They tell you that you're small for long enough and you begin to believe it.
They tell you that you don't belong.
And have you feeling like a fraud.
No honey, you are enough.
And you always have been.

Your body is yours. This body is powerful.
This skin is resilient even when they try and take away your sun.
Try to make you bleed out...
Tell you that you aren't a priority
Try to stay calm but vigilant.
Although you have a right to be.
To feel.. MAD. you're sane
Stay calm. Stay black.
Be loud. Be quiet. Be whatever makes you, YOU.
Secure. Black. A woman.
A black woman. Your story deserves to be told.
ALL of our stories do.


References
Structural Realities Black Girls and Women Face In America - Jamilah King

It's Time to Listen to Black Women - Andrea J. Ritchie

Chimamanda Adiche Ted Talk

No comments:

Post a Comment