Sunday, December 2, 2018

Final Project

For my final project, I decided to make a zine/fact pamphlet about women in the music industry. My initial inspiration came from not only my love for music, but also from the passion that I witness through my friends who actively are/were once seeking a job in the industry. While I fully and whole heartedly believe in my friends, I found myself wondering how difficult it may be for them by attempting to break into their fields. I decided to try and cover as many bases of the field as I could, including statistics about women artists compared to men, women in the behind the scenes / business-y aspect of music, the common reports of harassment, as well as personal posts of some of my friends who helped draw my idea for this project (and a few other things).  While some of the pages were driven by writing, I used a lot of visuals and screenshots because it is often what I find myself paying the most attention to in other publications and blogs. My goal in this project was to bring awareness to not only the lack of representation of women in the music industry as a whole, but also to the problems that women face while trying to break into it/already being in it. I also  In order to keep some optimism in my project, I included the responses of my friends to why they love music, as I believe they showcase the importance of that media and what it has the power to do. I also asked my friends to compile short playlists of some songs that they love/think more people should hear, as well as the women who've been making waves in music through the internet, which I've included links to below.
The cover of my zine!
HERE IS MY ZINE

HERE IS THE PLAYLIST





Shea Diamond, who is one of the artists I recommend checking out on Youtube. I listed one of her videos below!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_zOOnvB7K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRe6xemqs5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpI0apJk80s





Sources

Darville, Jordan. “This Report Breaks down the Lack of Opportunity for Women in Popular Music.” The FADER, The FADER, 25 Jan. 2018, www.thefader.com/2018/01/25/annenberg-inclusion-initiative-report-music-industry-female-representation-grammys.

Edwards, Briony. “Weinstein's Just the Start: the Abuse of Women in Music Is at 'Epidemic' Levels.” Loudersound, Louder Together We're Louder, 23 Oct. 2017, www.loudersound.com/features/weinsteins-just-the-start-the-abuse-of-women-in-music-is-at-epidemic-levels.

Lanzendorfer, Joy. “Why Aren't There More Women Working in Audio?” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 12 Sept. 2017, www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/why-arent-there-more-women-working-in-audio/537663/.

Mackenzie, Jean. “Rape and Abuse: The Music Industry's Dark Side Exposed.” BBC News, BBC, 18 Dec. 2017, www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42368544.

Mitchum, Rob, and Diego Garcia-Olano. “Tracking the Gender Balance of This Year's Music Festival Lineups.” Pitchfork, Pitchfork, 1 May 2018, pitchfork.com/features/festival-report/tracking-the-gender-balance-of-this-years-music-festival-lineups/.

Mulvey, Laura. “Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema.” Feminisms, 1991

Pajer, Nicole. “New Report Shows Major Lack of Representation by Women in the Music Industry.” Billboard, Billboard, 26 Jan. 2018, www.billboard.com/articles/news/8096196/new-report-shows-major-lack-representation-women-music-industry.

Pipher, Mary. Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls. Random House, 1994

Sanghani, Radhika. “From 'Beliebers' to 'Directioners', Why Hysterical Teen Girl Fans Aren't as Mad as You Think.” The Telegraph, Telegraph Media Group, 27 Jan. 2014, www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10595848/Beliebers-to-Directioners-why-hysterical-teen-girl-fans-arent-as-mad-as-you-think.html

Sisario, Ben. “Gender Diversity in the Music Industry? The Numbers Are Grim.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 25 Jan. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/arts/music/music-industry-gender-study-women-artists-producers.html.

Williams, Sophie. “Ariana Grande Slams Piers Morgan over Little Mix 'Sex' Comments.” Evening Standard, 21 Nov. 2018, www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/ariana-grande-and-piers-morgan-in-twitter-spat-after-he-accuses-little-mix-of-using-sex-to-sell-a3996516.html.


No comments:

Post a Comment