Monday, December 3, 2018

Final Project: Moms Unite!

As a mom to be in the following months, I really wanted to focus on topics that have relatively been brought to my attention as of lately. I truly feel that if it wasn't for the fact that I would be creating a life very soon I wouldn't bother to educate myself on a topic like motherhood and what goes into it. I can almost guarantee that this is the same logic for other women and especially for men. While going through this journey, one tends to do more research on about everything you can think of, like the stages of development to birthing classes but what I was commonly struck with was breastfeeding and maternity leave. Two subjects that commonly wouldn't be thought twice about unless you’re in that situation which shouldn't be the case. When surfing the interwebs I came across an article on USA Today, where it stated that nursing rooms will added into all airports as a requirement which made me really question why one would support this if its legal especially here in New York? Were other people aware of this? Was I overreacting? A million questions on breastfeeding laws came into mind which just deepened my research, though all 50 states are legally free to publicly breastfeed many had different laws on when and where they could do this. The Bump, which is a prominent motherhood tell all website laid out state by state laws on what was acceptable and what really shocked me was though legal many just ruled these to be accepted. Idaho for example JUST ruled this law acceptable this July, which is like wow how sad. So that got me to thinking what else am I not aware of, which got me to thinking about labor conditions in the work place like maternity leave and what was the circumstances on that. I do want to go back to work when I feel comfortable enough to be away from my newborn for 8 hours, but made me really curious on how other new moms and moms to be feel about this as well and how they are handling this situation. I have become really involved with forums with other new moms and moms to be so this is what prompted my project you see here today, I really wanted to educate not only myself but others on breastfeeding and maternity leave and show how real moms and moms to be feel towards these subjects on an unbiased Q&A style video vlog. I thought this would be a good topic that would intertwined with our class because its women educating women, which for me is always extremely more helpful when dealing with real world issues since who knows us more than us ! I’ve uploaded the video on YouTube which will be available as soon as the blog is posted. I hope you all enjoy while I had a fun time talking with all these expected and new moms and dads. #KnowyourRights

No comments:

Post a Comment