Monday, December 3, 2018

Final Project: Misshaping Identity

I present to you my not-quite-a-book, not-quite-a-zine: Misshaping Identity.

The cover of my sort-of-zine, Misshaping Identity.

For this project, I decided to play to my strengths and tell bits and pieces of my life’s story through collage art/digital design alongside writing to help the images (some) context. I considered everything we’ve discussed in class and took my inspiration from the themes found throughout the readings, relating it to certain events and particular periods within my life. While the writing is easy and quick to read, the art is there to interject emotion; some of it is more easily digestible in its relevance to and representation of the written pieces, and some of it is more abstract.

The title comes from how every piece of culture, every norm that we absorb and internalize from the moment we’re born plays a role in shaping the person we become. The themes found within lean heavily on the topics like body image, gender identity/roles, sexuality, etc., with consideration of how all work in tandem against what our culture says I should be, and some of how it’s impacted me over time. For me, “identity” as a concept has always been a little murky – I’ve never felt like I truly understood myself, and other people forcing their perceptions of my identity on me when I was already struggling with it myself played a large role in that.

The purpose of this project is to encourage other people to consider how media has shaped them (be it directly or indirectly) on a deeper level and find the willingness to speak their truth; to create without hesitancy, and find a sense of self within that. This project is for me; it’s a recollection of things that happened in my life and is therefore most meaningful to myself. But it’s also for you, the person who’s has been deceived by society into believing that you and your narrative are somehow incorrect or unimportant. I hope something in here is relatable to you and makes you feel a little less alone, and if not, I hope you still take a look and perhaps enjoy it anyway.




Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment