Sunday, December 2, 2018

Final Project - BTS and Feminist Masculinity

For my final project, I produced a video essay on Korean artists BTS and feminist masculinity. I’ve been a fan of BTS for almost four years now so I was really glad to be able to make something which was both about them as well as about social issues that I think are important for everyone to know and understand.

BTS Delivering a speech at the 2018 UN General Assembly


BTS has been rapidly growing in fame over the past couple of years, and their fanbase, otherwise known as ARMY is incredibly impactful. BTS have always provided a voice to issues rarely discussed in K-Pop, and thus their fanbase do the same. ARMYs have run multiple outreach campaigns in the name of BTS based on their messages.

If you don’t know much about BTS and ARMY, the video linked here by MTV news is incredibly helpful.

I have been running fan accounts for BTS pretty much since I became a fan of them, so I thought that making such a niche project directed towards their fanbase would be great as I understand them pretty well. I’ve been sharing my project on my fan account and sending it to reporters known for their coverage on K-Pop and BTS to hopefully get it spread wider.

Essentially, my video essay goes into BTS’ concepts for their music since their debut in 2013. Initially, they were pretty much run by patriarchal masculinity, but with the release of their album HYYH Pt. 1 in 2015, they took a swift turn into talking about emotionality in ways that other Korean artists were not.

They essentially followed exactly the kind of growth ideal for men as described by bell hooks in Men, Masculinity, and Love. They started out very conventionally masculine even though their music did talk about social issues like the educational system and generational gaps since their debut, but all their other softer music was almost always about girls rather than about male emotionality. I really wanted to highlight that growth in my video essay, but as I directed it mainly towards people who already know BTS I’m including this information here in my blog post! These are also things that I’ll probably mention if I continue to make videos like this on the new channel that I posted my video to.

My video is linked here:


Works Cited are here:
1.     hooks, bell. The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love. Atria Books, 2004
2.     Gray, John. Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex. HarperCollins, 1992
3.     Jun, R. “Fans Request Statement From BTS About Misogynistic Lyrics, BigHit Responds” Jul 6, 2016, Soompi
4.     “South Koreans buying floral-print products in support of sex-slave victims” The Straits Times, Aug 27, 2017
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/south-koreans-buying-floral-print-products-in-support-of-sex-slave-victims
5.     Love Myself Campaign Website https://www.love-myself.org/eng/about-lovemyself/


And all the visual sources I used in my video are listed in the description of my video, as well as background music sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment